miércoles, 20 de marzo de 2013

Segovia

This weekend my visiting friends and I decided we needed a break from Madrid and the long nights that are all too common here.  Saturday we took a bus to Segovia, a city in the mountains not even an hour and a half outside Madrid.  I did not know what to expect, other than a famous aqueduct and delicious pig dishes.

I slept through most of the bus ride, until I woke up to the bus screeching to a halt.  After scraping my head off the window, I realized we were in the middle of the snowstorm.  This was the first time I saw a significant amount of snow since leaving New England.  Everyone else on the bus was pointing and getting very excited at frozen water falling from the sky.  Perhaps it was the frequency we get it back home, or maybe the concussion that I assumed I must have then received from the window, but I went back to sleep and woke only when I made it to the destination.

The aqueduct was amazing, as it was built almost 2000 years ago without mortar and still stood.  I couldn't fathom how people could make it without machines, when I can't write a paper before complaining about it for weeks.










Almost as elaborate as one of my essays.


All I could think about on the way to the city was the eventual pork meal that was supposed to be fantastic. And I wasn't disappointed.  It was one of the best meals that I've had in the country and the waiter was kind enough to inform me more about the origin of my lunch.  He told me that the pig was only 21 days old, freshly removed from his mother.  It was easily the most innocent baby that I have ever shoved in my mouth.
Awwwwwww


Normally, infanticide is not part of my balanced diet, but I made the exception just this once.  And if a baby pig ever graces my plate again, I'm not sure I could refuse.

The other notable structure in Segovia is the castle.  It stands at the edge of town, a moat surrounding it as it looks toward the mountains.  The inside is covered in artifacts from the era and other pieces of history.











Photo by Arianna Nava

Segovia is much different than Madrid, and is a nice day trip from the city.  It was much calmer and a great escape from the hustle of daily city life in Madrid.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario